Ask a Dentist   »  

Got tongue pierced. Using crest pro health mouthwash. Bumps appeared on tongue. What should I do?

Hi, about 4 days ago I got my tongue pierced and I was told to rinse my mouth every time I eat or drink anything besides water. I bought Crest Pro Health mouthwash without alcohol and now the tip of my tongue has "lie bumps" or swollen taste buds, and the front of my mouth has these spots where it looks like the gum has a white film over it. I also have a white lump growing around that area and my teeth and gums are very sore to the point where eating or drinking is impossible it seems. What could this be and what should I do?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I am happy you have taken adequate precautions after the piercing but very unfortunately the piercing site has got infected.
I advice you to remove the piercing immediately to prevent further spread of the infection. Continue rinsing your mouth with Crest mouth wash, if you develop fever you might have to be put on antibiotics like amox with clavulanic acid.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to answer any further ones.

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Got tongue pierced. Using crest pro health mouthwash. Bumps appeared on tongue. What should I do? 1 hour later
Thank you,

I have read that the numbing of the tip of my tongue and swollen taste buds are from the piercing but that the rest could be due to the fact that I over used the mouthwash. I used it every time I would eat a Popsicle or anything for that matter. My mouth has been cleaner than ever and I also brushed my teeth a lot. Could it possibly be from the mouthwash since most of the side effects and reviewers have the same problem as me or is it for sure infected? The piercing itself and my tongue do not hurt except for the swollen taste buds besides that its all in my gums and teeth. Salt water seems to numb it for awhile and I used it one time last night and woke up this morning and the problem seemed to be healing some.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

Thanks for the reply

Numbness because of the mouth wash would not stay longer than 5-10 min XXXXXXX The numbness what you are facing is secondary to edema (collection of fluid in the tissue). It can occur transiently after the piercing.

If the piercing site itself is not paining or swollen then probably I would like to reconsider that there is an infection at the site. The symptoms and signs indicates more towards gingivitis. Please approach a dentist soon, you will need to be on antibiotics. I would like to add here that gingivitis itself can spread to the pierced site so you will have to be careful. Continue using the mouth wash.

I hope I have answered your query