Got throat tickling and cough. No issues like fever, weight loss and no mucus or blood while coughing

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi XXXXXXX
I am XXXXX, I got throat tickling and cough for more that 6 weeks now. I don't have any other issues like fever, weight loss etc. I don't get any mucus or blood while coughing. sometime while coughing, I smells blood taste.

I don't get cough once I sleep. could you please advise me what could be the problem.

Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. A tickling sensation in the throat may arise due to allergy (food or pollution), lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat or a post nasal drip. Other causes include dryness in the throat, sinusitis, infections, acid reflux and so on. Since you have this problem since more than 6 weeks, it may now be termed as chronic.

2. Coughing tends to shear the delicate lining of the throat and the taste of blood is more common in people with lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat. Get a video laryngoscopy done and share the images or video here.

3. Since the cough goes away when you sleep it is less likely to be sinusitis or a post nasal drip or acid reflux.

4. I would recommend a dry cough syrup (such as Ascoril-D) and an anti-histamine (such as cetrizine) with an anti-leukotriene (such as montelukast) along with a medicated gargle and a bland diet. Exposure to tobacco and alcohol must be ensured, if it exists.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got throat tickling and cough. No issues like fever, weight loss and no mucus or blood while coughing 10 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. since this cough is persisting for me for more days, I am bit worried. Do I need to do any other tests for TB, Cancer, etc.

I am consuming cough syrup like codeine, Pholcodine Linctus. Also I have tried all home remedies like lemon in hot water, minting bell pepper and clover, consuming only hot water. Nothing have given me permanent solution.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The cough due to TB is usually productive with a lot on sputum and mucus. One of the first tests is a chest x-ray and a morning sputum examination for three consecutive days. There may also be some symptoms such as low grade fever, weight loss, night sweats and so on. Hence you should not worry about TB at present.

2. A normal videolaryngosocpy will rule out cancer and may help diagnose the exact cause. Get a blood test to rule out eosinophilia. An AEC (Absolute Eosinophil Count) will be ideal.

3. Instead of strong cough syrups such as codiene or pholcodine linctus, use a syrup containing dextromethorphan (Zedex, Ascoril-D), levodropropizine (Reswas) or levocloperastine (Soventus DC). Avoid expectorants. Your anti-allergic treatment and gargles are important, hence ask your physician to start these medications.

4. Try there home remedies: Turmeric in warm milk at night after meals and a mixture of cream, honey and ginger during the day.

Regards.