Got throat infection and have little mucus. Unable to talk. Relief from hot water. Suggest medication?

Jun 2015

Last week I got throat infection and have little mucus. From Yesterday on wards I couldn't able to talk. My voice is not coming out. mucus also coming out some times.
When i take hot water or tea giving little relief and voice little but after few seconds again not able to talk.

Please suggest any medicine to use.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 43 minutes later

I have gone through your case history.
You had throat infection last week and for that you took antibiotic Erythromycin 250 mg.

The reason for persistence of symptoms can be:
1. The causative organism for the sore throat is a virus, in which case, the anti biotic will have no effect.

2. The causative organism is resistant to Erythromycin.

In case the infection is viral in nature, it will subside on its own by symptomatic treatment.
However, in case of bacterial infection, proper choice of antibiotic has to be made based on culture & sensitivity reports.

Till then, symptomatic relief can be obtained by:
1. Gargle with warm salt water to relieve throat pain.
2. Analgesics like paracetamol
3. Antihistamine preparation like Allegra
4. Adequate voice rest
5. Avoid taking cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods.

If symptoms still persist, kindly consult your Doctor & get a clinical examination of your throat done to rule out any organic cause for the symptoms.

Wish you good health & a speedy recovery.