Ask a Dentist   »  

Got swelling by wearing retainers over night. Any thing serious?

I've tried to put on my retainers yesterday night before i sleep and it was hurting a lot as I'v not put it on for months. But I just wear them on for a night and this morning, I've noticed that the bottom right side of my face was slightly swollen and on my right neck too. The swelling is not very obvious unless really really close observation. I've tried to feel the right side of my neck and I am pretty sure that I did not feel for any lumps. Just felt slightly sore. May I know whats the cause of it? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 4 days later
Brief Answer:
An impacted third molar on right side.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

As per the given history, it appears that wearing retainers over night might not be the cause for swelling. The actual cause could be an infection due to decayed tooth or an impacted third molar on right side.

Therefore please provide following details to diagnose better.

1. Do you have associated pain or sensitivity while eating or chewing on right side?
2. Have you got any fillings done on right side,for any tooth?
3. Has your wisdom tooth on other side erupted?
4. After removal of retainers have you checked for any ulcers developed due to tissue impingement?

Awaiting your response...