Got swelling and hard painful lump on inner calf. No pain when lying down. Effective cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I all of a sudden got a hard painful lump the size of a quarter in my inter calf. It feels like a XXXXXXX horse when I am standing and walking. My calf is swollen but not hot or red. Doesn't hurt when I am lying down. I did not injury it.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

I would like to get more information about your symptoms

1. Which side is affected? and since when?
2. Is there swelling in the foot also?
3. Are you currently on any regular medications eg. for hypothyroidism, heart disease, arthritis etc., ?
4. Have you undergone any recent major surgeries?
(I see that there are no significant medical or surgical history)

Waiting for your reply.
Get well soon.
Follow-up: Got swelling and hard painful lump on inner calf. No pain when lying down. Effective cure? 7 hours later
1. It is on the right leg. On the inside of the calf about 4 -5 inches below the knee. 1 inch or so yybelow XXXXXXX bone.
2. No swelling in the foot. Just. The calf. It visually. Is bigger than the left calf.
3. No prescription mess. I take fish oil and a baby aspirin each day.
4. I have never had surgery

The lump is the same size today. I think it is a muscle because when I sit down and don't move it for a while it gets very stiff and it it very painfully when I step. It loosens up as I walk on it but feels like a constant XXXXXXX horse when I am on it.
No pain but very sensitive to touch when I am off my feet.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 3 hours later
Yes. It seems to be like calf muscle spasm.

Give hot fomentation to the part 2-3 times a day. A course of muscle-relaxant + NSAID will help in relieving the spasm immediately.

Drink lot of fluids and hydrate yourself. Warm-up before doing any exercises or stressful activities. Avoid using stairs, running, jogging, jumping etc., till the cramps go off. Walking on rough surface might aggravate the cramp and lose control suddenly!

Wish you a good health.