Got swelling after a bee sting. On phenergen antihistamine. Will it cause any problem to the child?

Hi my son got stung by a bee 48 Hours ago I scaped the sting out and it was fine but by the next day it started swelling and this morning it is even more swollen also today and have noticed a purple patch around the sting this arfternoon. He also had a little bit of a temp yesterday of 37.7 and has been on paracetamol and phenergen antihistamine since yesterday morning thanks
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX It is possible that a small bit of sting may have remained inside. It is also possible that you may have ruptured the sting bag while scraping the sting off. This may have resulted in spread of sting in the subcutaneous space. Thus the swelling will take a few days to go down now. Whatever the reason is for the swelling and the purple ring, the mainstay of treatment is still the same. Your son is on right treatment. I would still advise the following: - Give phenargan only to take care of itching. It will not be effective for the swelling. - Give paracetamol only if fever present - I am guessing that his vaccinations are uptodate for tetanus. If not then tetanus shot can be given - Can put some nail polish remover on the site to neutralize any sting that may be remaining - If pus appears at the site of sting, then you may apply some antiseptic creams like polysporin or even hand sanitizer. Take care Dr Vaishalee