Got sunburn. Now swelling on eye and hand. Feeling heaviness on legs. Is this due to sun exposure?

i had a sunburn on saturday and now my eyes are so swollen i can barely see. my legs feel 15 pounds heavier and hard to lift (im thin and an avid runner) and hands swollen too. eye lids this all from a sunburn?i posted another photo of how i usually the green eyes are big
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Yes, the symptoms you have could be due to the exposure to the sun. Exposure may result in release of chemical mediators similar to those released in allergic reactions. These mediators alter the permeability of the blood vessels and result in swelling and redness of the parts exposed sometime if severe, swelling and redness can be seen to be generalized.

I suggest you to get examined by your treating physician to confirm the fact and be placed on specific management.

Meanwhile you can take a dose of Benadryl in the nights for three to get rid of the symptoms if they persist for more than a day.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Got sunburn. Now swelling on eye and hand. Feeling heaviness on legs. Is this due to sun exposure? 4 minutes later
thank you. My sunburn happened Saturday and the swelling continues to get worse. can swelling last for 5 days?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 minutes later

Yes, it can persist for a week or so. Do take Benadryl as I advised above. Also do get examined by your treating doctor.