Got stung by fire on toe and have swelling with redness. Should I be concerned?

I got stung by a fire ant on my second toe. Now all my toes except great toe are swollen and red, with slight swelling extending into the upper part of the foot and reddness extending about one inch above the toes. The
sting happened Sunday at 1:30pm and has continued to get worse. Should I be concerned?

Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rash with bacterial infection, consult do

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query.

From your history it seems that you developed allergic reaction to the bite. I also suspect a possibility of secondary bacterial infection giving rise to redness and swelling.

In such cases, I treat them with antihistamine like Cetrizine, or Levo-cetrizine or Benadryl for 2-3 days. I also add antibiotic and antiinflammatory drugs to to cover infection.

You might be able to get antihistamines and antiinflammatory drug (motrin) over the counter, however you will require a prescription for antibiotic. I urge you to visit a nearby doctor to get a prescription.

In the meantime, keep your feet elevated.

I hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please write back.