Got stomach infection in lower abdomen. US showed thickened bowel syndrome in sigmond colon. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi my mother is 62 and recently she got stomach infection with pain in left lower abdomen with 99 fever . Her ultrasound showed thickened bowel syndrome in sigmond colon . She underwent 5 days antibiotic course under physician guidance
Now all the other symptoms have disappeared . However fever comes on and off upto 99 . Why fever is still there on and off ?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection may still be present

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Nice to hear that your mother's pain has subsided.
Sigmoid colon is present in the left lower part of abdomen.
She can take paracetamol tablet for fever.
I give antibiotics like Ofloxacin,metronidazole,meftal spas,pre and probiotic capsules to my patients with similar complaints.
I also do malaria test to my patients with on and off fever.Get it done.
Wish her speedy recovery

Follow-up: Got stomach infection in lower abdomen. US showed thickened bowel syndrome in sigmond colon. Suggest? 1 hour later
what is thickened bowel segment in LIF

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is sigmoid colon

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Anatomically,large bowel continues as Sigmoid colon at the lower end of left side of abdomen,which is called as Left iliac fossa(LIF).
So,the bowel bowel that was thickened in left iliac fossa is Sigmoid colon.
So,they reported as thickened bowel loop syndrome in sigmoid colon.
Wish her speedy recovery.
Avoid outside food.

Follow-up: Got stomach infection in lower abdomen. US showed thickened bowel syndrome in sigmond colon. Suggest? 9 minutes later
SHE has been given cetil 500 morn even for 5 days till wed 21 Aug . which antiboitic should we give now and for how many days .and when should start the new course

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can take for another 1 week from today.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am sorry to say that without examining clinically,i cannot directly prescribe the drugs.
But,in my first reply ,i gave the list of medicines which i give to my patients with similar complaints.
If the fever is coming on and off,please rule out malaria first.
Wish her good health