Got stitches on chin. Noticed numbness on lips. Should I be worried? Is this temporary?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi, we have a 4 year old son that got a cut next to his chin, which was stiched up in the hospital yesterday. It seems like the right part of his bottom lip is numb and his speech is a bit affected. Is this something to worry about? Is this temporary? What could have caused this? How long till full recovery? Can this be permanent?
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 5 hours later

I read the details submitted with diligence and I am sorry for your son.

But don't worry. This is most likely temporary. Injury to marginal mandibular branch or submental nerves may cause sensory disturbances. Though recovery is possible, it may take up to 3 months for complete recovery.

Speech may be affected due to pain or swelling or sometimes due loss of sensations also. This too should improve gradually.

Hope I was able to address your concerns. Let me know if you have other enquiries.