Got stitches in mouth after getting bump removed. Can I chew tobacco?

I got a couple stitches in my mouth after getting a small bump removed can i chew tobacco on the other side of my mouth?
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that chewing tobacco following a procedure can increase the chances of complications. Though you wish to chew on the opposite side, there is every possibility of infection / irritation and inflammation developing secondary to tobacco.

I suggest you to wait for few weeks until the full healing of the wound. Consult your dentist, to ensure complete tissue healing before chewing tobacco.

Please also note that chewing tobacco is associated with multiple health risks including oral cancers. It is advisable to quit chewing tobacco.

I hope this answer was useful. If have any further questions for me, feel free to post them.

I wish you good health,