Got spider bite on calf. Red itchy spot appeared. Applied clobetasol propionate. Effective cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got bitten by spider on my calf in mid December. I noticed the bite when I got out of bed and felt an itch on my right calf. I looked down to scratch and saw this solid red disc about the size of a dime with two small black dots in the center. Within an hour small red skins patches (about the size of a dime) appeared 2 inches from the bite. They progressed to appear on both legs . Maybe ten in total. An area around the bite became reddened in an area larger than a quarter. Then I got small red spots on my chest. I've been give two taper regimens of prednisone. Both knocked the red patchs (which itch) down, but they came back when I got down to the 1 pill per day. A dermatologist gave me Clobetasol Propionate that I've been rubbing on for 9 days. The leg red patchs are decreasing, but the red dots on my chest are unaffected.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
After a spider bite the allergic response like you have got is likely. The red blotches and dots like you have usually take 2-3 weeks to disappear completely.
Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.
You can continue using the topical ointment and medicated calamine lotion over the affected area and can start with an anti allergic like cetrizine or fexofenadine for relief. The red spots are usually self limiting and will decrease on their own.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.