Got snake bite. No antivenin was given. Have limited taste and no smell at all. Time for recovery?

Feb 2013

It's been 4 weeks since my snake bite. Australian red bellied black snake. I was in hospital for 4 days while being monitored. No antivenin was given. I know have limited taste and no smell at all. The bite area gets very hot and itchy when I wear boots. When will these symptoms pass? Or are they long term? Thanks,XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The Australian red bellied black snake venom is of relatively low toxicity.

And in milder cases, in bites without muscles and coagulation derangement, antivenin is not required.

The loss of smell sensation is reported as the adverse effect of the snake bite.

There may be local changes in the bite area due to mild tissue necrosis caused by the venom effect.

The tissue in the bite area will heal within few weeks if there is no any secondary bacterial infection.

Usually the hot and itchy changes in bite area will subside and there will be no long term effects except for a small scar.

But avoid rubbing of that area by the boots as constant irritation of the wound area will disturb the healing process.

Look for signs of local infections like redness, tenderness, discharge, and warmth.

And if you find any sign of secondary infection, consult your doctor for the examination of the bite area and treatment advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.