Got small anal abscess. Suggest medication?

I got a small anal abscess since yesterday night. I would like to get a prescription. Please help me.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more clarification...

Detailed Answer:

In the first instance, I would like to know if what you have is confirmed as anal abscess. If yes, I would like to know if this is within the anal mucosa or the surrounding para anal region. Besides that, I would also like to know how small is this abscess - is it a few cms/inches or few millimeter / pinhead; is it discharging pus yet and are you running fever?

Abscess has reputation of spreading. If the abscess is quite large it needs an incision and drainage along with prescription for oral medication.

I will be able to comment further based on your replies...

Follow-up: Got small anal abscess. Suggest medication? 6 minutes later
Hello Dr. Prasad~

Thx for the reply. My reply to your Q are below.

1. It's a small boil at the opening of anus.
2. It's exterior to anus, as I am able to feel it outside.
3. It probably a small pepper size
4. There is no pus/discharge yet
5. I am not running fever; it's just the pain at the anal opening.

I hope that I have answered all your queries. Please let me know your recommendation.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I wouldn't suspect anal abscess in this instance..

Detailed Answer:

If the presence of abscess isn't confirmed by per rectal examination at a doctor's office, I wouldn't suspect this condition to be due to abscess. Boil at the anal opening could be due to a benign harmless condition or may be related to hemorrhoid. If it doesn't hurt you to pass stool, I would just order you to keep the area clean, avoid unnecessary probing and watch for fresh symptoms. You can apply antiseptic ointment like bactroban for aseptic measures.

If it hurts to pass stool, you can take try warm sitz bath. Apply lignocaine gel to this area before a bowel movement. Drink plenty of fluids. Take plenty of fibre (fruits and vegetables) in your diet.

Watch the growth for the next 2-3 days. If it doesn't improve or if you develop troubling symptoms during these three days, visit your local surgeon for per rectal examination.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Got small anal abscess. Suggest medication? 4 minutes later
Thx Dr. Prasad; will monitor as recommended.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
If you have no further queries, please close this discussion....