Got sinusitis without any kind of sense of taste and smell. Is this normal?

ENT Specialist
I've got sinisitis, and this is the 7th day now without any kind of sense of taste and smell.
Is this normal, and when should it return? Is there anything I can do to help things? I am on amoxcillin and been doing steams, and nasal rinses. But nothing seems to be working. Please help!! Thankyou. Also I am 5 weeks pregnant.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 21 minutes later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have an apisode of rhinosisinusitis. The problem of anosmia (absence of sense of smell) may be because of the increase in the size of turbinates(soft tissue bulges in the lateral wall of nose) in the nasal cavity. Once there is an increase in the size of turbinates the air do not reaches the nerve fibres of the sense of smell(present in upper part of nose and the roof of nose). However the altration of the sense of taste cannot be explained due to rhinosinusitis.
One of the possibility may be due to the antibiotic you are using. Antibiotic usage may cause the altered taste sensation. Other possibility may be the post nasal infective secretions coming in the throat.

I would advise you for a nose drop in addition to the medicines you are taking. But before starting nose drop I would advise you for a ENT consultation for a review.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma