Got scratched by puppy and there is no bleeding. Do I need any vaccination?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi a two month old puppy scratched me while playing. Not sure if it was the teeth or the paw. The scratch is superficial and there is no bleeding. The scratch is purple in colour. Do I need a shot? The puppy hasn't got its vaccinations yet.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

It this is just superficial scratch then you do not need to visit hospital. Wash the wound with soap and water under pressure for at least five minutes and apply an antiseptic lotion or cream.

After that, you can cover wound with clean gauze. After 2 days leave wound open and watch for signs of infection at the site, such as increased redness or pain, swelling, or drainage and fever. If you notice this, then visit your doctor.
Also if you see any illness of your puppy then visit doctor too, and of course bring puppy to his doctor:)

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.