Got scratched by dog over the cloth. No tear on skin. Do I need rabies shot?

Hello Doctor, Today on my way home on my bike, I was chased by a pack of stray dogs and one managed a tiny nip at my foot. There was a hole in my pant, but I couldn't find any scratches/punctures anywhere in my leg. I was bitten by a dog (domesticated) almost 15 years back and had taken the complete vaccination cycle. Do I need to take the vaccination cycle again? If so how many? Also, do I need to take the RIG vaccination? I heard that it is not so easily available in India. Can you please comment..
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 43 minutes later
If you had taken the vaccnine 15yrs ago,its not enough protection for now. But having said that, the degree of exposure is important here. If there was no tear/scratch etc on your skin,then its unlikely that you were exposed. Basic first aid and cleaning the wound is important. Wash with plenty of water and soap. You can the RIG within 48 hrs of exposure if the dog cannot be found,or status unknown.
RIG is available but its expensive. Rabies vaccine is easily available in all govt hospitals and private hospitals too. You can have a doctor examine your wound and determine whether you need the vaccine again.