Got scratched by dog. Took TT vaccination. Do I need anti rabies vaccination?

my son 4 and half year old was scratched by nail of a pet dog aged one and a half month, the dog was not injected any vaccine. after scratched a pindrop/very very little quantity of blood was came out from his thumb. same time he was given TT injection. the whole incident took place on 15 apr 13. now i want to know that whether he required anti rabies vaccination or not. if yes, then its not too late for anti rabies vaccination.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Sharma 22 minutes later

Thanks for placing your query here.

I appreciate your concerns about your son.

You must realize that rabies is a universally fatal disease.

The dogs keep licking their claws & in case the pet dog is infected with rabies there is every possibility of transmitting rabies even through injury from its claws.

It is good; he has been given tetanus shot.

There cannot be two opinions about need of rabies vaccination.

He must get rabies vaccination.

It is not late and he should get his first rabies vaccine shot as soon as possible.

Keep the pet dog under observation & if till 25th April he is well & alive you can omit further doses of the vaccine schedule.

So it is amply clear he needs minimum of 3 vaccine shots that is day 0, 3 & 7.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you son good health.

Best regards.