Got scratched and started bleeding. Risk of HIV transmission?

Question
I was scratched accidently by a work
Coleague on my hand which led to a very small amount of blood drawn. What is the risk of hiv being transmitted this way ?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 2 hours later

I can understand your concern about HIV transmission. Let me assure you that, a scratching which led to minor bleeding does not transmit HIV. The possibility of transmission is there only if infected blood or body fluids comes in contact with your blood or body fluid. I would say, chances of transmission in the situation you mentioned, is extremely nil.

So, be relaxed.

Hope I had been clear enough in addressing your concern. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks & Regards

Follow-up: Got scratched and started bleeding. Risk of HIV transmission? 27 minutes later
Thank you. Is it worth testing for hiv based on this encounter??

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 2 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up.

I do not think any test is required. But, if a test can relieve your anxiety, surely you can get an HIV test done.

Thank you

Follow-up: Got scratched and started bleeding. Risk of HIV transmission? 6 minutes later
Should a hiv duo test at 6 weeks be conclusive ?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 10 minutes later

In your case, a test is not required actually. So you can go for the duo test at 6 weeks. I expect it to be negative. If it is so, you can take it as conclusive.

Hope that clarifies.