Got rashes behind ear. What could be causing this?

I just got a rash on the skin behind my ear (not on the ear) and I cant explain how it got there. I was thinking maybe an allergic reaction but why would it pop up behind my ear? i havnt been bitten by any insects and I have pictures of the rash but the website wouldnt allow me to upload them for some reason. What could it be from?
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 32 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are suffering from can be intertrigo,contact dermatitis,furuncle seborrheic dermatitis etc.

Also I would like to know-
Since when you have this?
Is there any pain/itching?
Is it on one side or both ears involved?

You can upload the photos or you can email them to YYYY@YYYY
Write "ATTENTION DR SUDARSHAN" as subject in your mail.
I will be able to see them.

Answer the questions and send the photos we can continue the discussion here.

Anticipating your response.

Md Dermatologist.
Follow-up: Got rashes behind ear. What could be causing this? 14 minutes later
Its probably been about a little less than a week i think. Maybe about 6 days. It doesn't itch but it felt like the nerves or vein around it was kinda stiff and tender in the beginning so slight pain yes. And its only by 1 ear the left ear.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for the details and the image.
More close up pic would be more informative.
Going by the details and image it appears like insect bite hypersensitivity.
You need to apply a mild topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone cream 1% over the affected area.
It is to be applied twice a is available as over the counter product.The condition would resolve by 7 days.
Hope this helps.
If you need any further clarification then do let me know.
MD dermatologist
Follow-up: Got rashes behind ear. What could be causing this? 8 hours later
Okay thank you. I have already started today before i read this reply to apply the 1% hydrocortisone 10 maximum strength applicator to the affected area. It looks like its already starting to scab up. If it appears to be a reaction to an insect bite would that mean that Im allergic to a particular insect bite and if so is it possible to know what kind of insect that bite may have come from? I've attatched some closer pictures just in case.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,
Thanks for the details.
Insect bite reaction does not apply to any specific insect .It can happen due to any insect.As you are using hydrocortisone it will soon dry up and heal.
Nothing much needs to be done in this case .
Only physical protection is advisable.
Hope this helps .
If you are satisfied with the answer, please accept it and rate it at the end.