Got rash, spreading. Prescribed beta methadone cream. Taking antihistamine for cough. Suggest remedy

Dermatologist
Question
Hi... I started getting a rash 1 week ago. Started on both hips then under both arms then both elbows,both knees. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed beta methadone do propionate cream she didnt seem to think there was reason to believe it was scabies or an external allergy but an XXXXXXX virus. About 4 days later I developed the worst sore throat and now a deep hacking cough. I have been applying the cream twice daily but it still seems to be slowly spreading , now back of my arms, back of legs, hands. It seems to get worse at night and the itching comes and goes. I'm trying not to scratch. I am taking a non drowsy antihistamine and a nigttime antihistamine for the cough. Do you have any further insight on what could be happening?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be scabies,contact dermatitis,dermatitis herpetiformis,pityriasis rosea.
Also I would like to know-
Is itching worse in day or night?
Are there lesions on genitals?
Are the lesions persistent or do they go away?
Are there lesions on webspaces/wrist/axilla?
Are the bumps raised /flat?blanching?
Are you on any medications presently?
Any change in routine like outdoor activity/cosmetics etc?
Can you upload the photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.

Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Till the time you can take tab.Zyrtec twice daily and apply calamine lotion twice daily.It will help a lot in itching.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology

Follow-up: Got rash, spreading. Prescribed beta methadone cream. Taking antihistamine for cough. Suggest remedy 39 minutes later
Also I would like to know-
MY dermatologist examined areas and found NO sign of scabies tracks. I HAVE NOT been exposed to anything new physically or environmentally.
I AM currently sick with a bad sore throat and hacking cough

Is itching worse in day or night? NIGHT
Are there lesions on genitals? NO
Are the lesions persistent or do they go away? NA
Are there lesions on webspaces/wrist/axilla? NO
Are the bumps raised /flat?blanching? RAISED PIMPLE-LIKE BUT WHEN SCRATCHED TURN LARGER BUMPS. simultaneously appearing on both sides of body.
Are you on any medications presently? NO
Any change in routine like outdoor activity/cosmetics etc? NO

I'm not sure how to upload a photo to your site.

IMG_3758.JPG

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 hours later
Hi Again XXXXXXX
Thanks for the details.
The condition can be urticaria,viral exanthem,pityriasis rosea etc.

You can upload the photo by using UPLOAD YOUR IMAGES/REPORT feature on right side of this box.Upload the photos and we can continue the discussion.

Itchy rash with aggravation of itching in night can be scabies/urticaria.
As scabies and contact dermatitis are ruled out in your case it can be urticarial rash or pityriasis rosea or viral exanthem .More or less the treatment remains the same with oral antihistaminics and cooling and soothing lotion like aloe vera lotion or calamine lotion for application.
Post the images to further advise you accordingly.
DrSudarshan.
Dermatology.