Got pulled muscle. Having bruise and extreme pain. What should I do?

pulled or torn muscle in thighabout 3 weeks ago I felt a pull in my right thigh on the top muscle when I croutched down. I figured it was just a small pull. little by little the pain has been getting worse. I had a small bruise appear (it is gone now), but the pain is getting unbearable. I can't move my leg without the muscle in my thigh hurting throughout the middle and burning on both sides, the pain is constant, I can hardly walk or put any pressure on that leg, there is a huge knot in the middle, which the lightest touch brings me to tears and it is hot to the touch, and I now have pain that radiates centered in that muscle but also extends down under and around my knee cap and up to my hip.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 17 minutes later

The symptoms you have are suggestive of muscle pull. This happens when a muscle is stretched too much during an abnormal positioning. Your severe pain along with bruising is suggestive of significant tear.

Your doctor after physical examination may order an ultrasound or X XXXXXXX depending on the examination findings.

We advice bed rest during such conditions. Cold compressions may help to reduce the pain. We stop the patient from doing any further activities which may further aggravate the pain. Some time we wrap the area with a Crepe bandage.

Your doctor will prescribe analgesics which have anti inflammatory properties to reduce pain and swelling.

Hope this helps.