Got pricked by needle while walking. Does this need HIV testing?

There may have been a possibility that I may have been pricked by a needle whilst walking outside. My question is, the injury was on top of my foot so surely if it was a needle prick, it would have been at the bottom of the foot, secondly does this require testing for hiv and when would be good time to get tested if need be? Thankyou
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need for HIV testing

Detailed Answer:

Your query is a bit ambiguous.

See, if the injury i.e. the needle prick was on top of your foot, then obviously the prick would be on the top of your foot and not bottom. If the needle pricked you from below the surface, then you would have a wound at the bottom of the foot. Hope this is clear to you.

Secondly, this does not require testing for HIV as the virus is not viable in soil or mud.

Still if you insist on testing, you could take a HIV PCR test at 14 days or HIV ELISA test at 3 months.

Hope this information helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Got pricked by needle while walking. Does this need HIV testing? 7 minutes later
Thank you. What I meant was, if a needle was on the ground, would it not be impossible to get pricked on top of the foot plus I was wearing shoes

If it was a needle, surely prick would be at the bottom. ?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Yes, if it were a needle, prick would be at the bottom. And rarely, it is possible that it exits the top end of the foot too.

Hope this clarifies.