Got pregnant by IUI treatment and afterwords 1 fetal heartbeat was not available and had evidence of oedema

Hi I'm Christinal i got pregnant by IUI treatment intially i was diagnoised with Twins on 8th Week when i had been check up Both the embriyo heart beat was fine on 10th Week when i had been for the scanning it is been told by the scanner 1 fetal heart beat is not avaialable 1 kid is fine does this happen but till now i haven't found abnormalisities nor spotting ,Yesterday again i had been for the scanning they where saying they find evidence of oedema all around the fetus,they asked me to double check test i'm quiteworried what will happen to other kid i have repeat scan on saturday tooo,they have also confirmed NT on higher side i do not understand what it means and also oedema
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 hours later

From the description, you appear to be suffering from the 'Vanishing Twin' syndrome, a complication that is seen in twin pregnancy. Here, one of the twins is affected; the causes could be many and vary with the period of onset. During the first trimester, most common cause would be chromosomal anomalies.

It is seen mostly in IVF and after the maternal age of 30 years though it is seen in natural pregnancies also. The prognosis for the other twin is relatively good if the complication occurs during the first trimester rather than the second and third trimester provided there are no chromosomal anomalies in the surviving twin.

NT or nuchal translucency scan assesses the quantity of fluid collected within the nape of the fetal neck; higher collection of fluid indicates Down's Syndrome and a higher resolution can recognize other chromosomal anomalies as well. While the nuchal translucency scan is performed at the end of the first trimester, another scan for nuchal fold may be performed at the end of the second trimester.

The NT scan may be accompanied by a free serum beta-hCG measurement taking into consideration that these levels tend to be higher in cases of IVF; levels of pregnancy-associated plasma protein (PAPP-A). In Down's syndrome the beta-hCG levels increase and the PAPP-A levels decline.

In the current scenario, you should be watchful and report if you have any abdominal pain, spotting or bleeding. If the surviving twin has no anomalies, it is in every way possible for the pregnancy to continue to term. Please think positively, allay fears, take adequate rest and proper diet.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.