Got positive pregnancy test and started spotting. Am I miscarrying?

Hi, a week ago I got a faint positive on a test. Since then I continued to get positives. But on Monday I went to a and e because of a slight pain in my left side. When I was there their hospital test came back negative but I done 5 tests that day all saying positive. Due to how diluted my urine was and how upset I was getting they did a blood test which came back showing my hcg levels at 40 something but didn't say anything else just that my levels were too low, but they thought I was 6 weeks or so and at the time I was 4.5 weeks. So they told me i wasn't pregnant but I don't know why. On tuesday afternoon I started spotting with brown blood and some dark red blood which has now turned to a watery brown . I haven't had any blood on a pad apart from a few drops yesterday, it's only there when I go to the toilet and wipe. I am still getting positive pregnancy tests, but I don't know what to think?nhave I miscarried? Shouldn't I have had a heavy bleed? This small bleed was a lot lighter than my usual periods and to be honest if I wasn't pregnant I still wouldn't have even counted it as a period. I had an XXXXXXX at the hosp and when I have had internals before a few times I have bled afterwards. Could I still be pregnant? We're my hcg levels ok for 4.5 weeks? What can I do? The dr has said they cannot do blood preg tests at my gp surgery so cannot test again for me to see if my levels have risen. Thanks for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
Spotting after positive pregnancy test could be due to
1. Implantation bleed which is mostly only spotting and lasts only for few days
2. Blighted ovum or missed abortion in which case there will be a longer bout of bleeding and a negative pregnancy test after a few weeks
3. Ectopic pregnancy with nonviable embryo and withdrawal bleeding following that.
You can do a repeat pregnancy test and an abdominal ultrasound which will be able to guide you to the viablity of the fetus and the position of the gestational sac. Depending on these your obstetritian will be able to guide you to the further course of treatment and management.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Got positive pregnancy test and started spotting. Am I miscarrying? 23 minutes later
Thanks for this. But you have not said anything about my hcg levels and whether this could be a miscarriage. The info you have given me I have already read on the Internet, but my question was about the actual events that have happened eg could an XXXXXXX cause the bleeding, are my hcg levels too low, my bleed has not far off stopped now but it was slightly more than spotting etc.nplease can you re-read my questions in the original statement. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The HCG levels you had are consistent with 4.5 weeks pregnancy.
The chances of miscarriage are less as your pregnancy test is still positive.
The XXXXXXX examination can cause the mild spotting that you are having. The spotting usually subsides in a day or two in that case.
In case the pain in left lower abdomen is persistent then it is best to go for an ultrasound scan to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
I am available for any further clarifications.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Got positive pregnancy test and started spotting. Am I miscarrying? 16 minutes later
If I was micarrying, would I expect the levels to decrease quite quickly? How long would it take to get a negative test?

The pain has gone, including the mild cramping I had with the light bleed. I ovulated around the 7th of February. Making it three weeks tomorrow since ovulation. When could I expect a test with a sensitivity of 100 miu like the ones in the drs to detect it? I have a midwife ap on Tuesday, but because the dr in a and e thought my levels were too low and that I'd miscarry she told me not to go. Should I still go? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
In case of a miscarriage, it takes around 5-7 days for the levels to start decreasing. Since you are 21 days post ovulation, your serum HCG levels should have been in the detectable range. A chemical pregnancy is likely.
It would be best if you wait for one more week and then re test the urine. The test line will gradually become faint in case of a chemical pregnancy or an abortion. You can wait till then for consulting a midwife.