Got positive pregnancy test. How to calculate pregnancy week?

Mar 2016

how many weeks am ijust had a positive home preg test and i want to know how far i am my lmp was 21.1.2013 wen is the latest i should consult a midwife.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

First of all, I want to congratulate you for being pregnant.

As per your last menstrual period (LMP) on 21 st January, you are pregnant for 4 weeks 3 days or 31 days. Period of gestation is calculated from 1st day of LMP. Your expected date of delivery (EDD) will be around 28th October, 2013.

You should consult or take first appointment with midwife as early as possible after getting positive pregnancy test. You have to start taking folic acid and other vitamin supplements in the first trimester for better growth & neurodevelopment of the fetus.

Please do the following things for healthy pregnancy (specially in 1st trimester):

1) Take Healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/day than usual and eat more vegetables & fresh fruits. May take puffed rice or dry food to avoid morning sickness.
2) Drink more fluid/water to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation.
3) Take an adequate bed rest and preferably 8-10 hrs daily in divided schedule.
4) Maintain personal hygiene including breast & genital care with proper washing.
5) Try to avoid stress/tension/emotional upset by regular XXXXXXX breathing (if possible).
6) Avoid any type of sexual activity/ long journey/stepping uneven surface and high heel shoe (risk of fall on ground with miscarriage) etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you for good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Got positive pregnancy test. How to calculate pregnancy week? 49 minutes later
thank u for that info. how do u know wat sex baby will be or a rough idea for me to know
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

There is no such real way and confirmatory gender predictor tools or logic which can help you in knowing sex of the baby. So, don't waste your time on this rather than you enjoy your pregnancy without any difficulty whether it is girl or boy baby.

In addition, ultrasound scan is most reliable to identify the sex of the baby and it will be seen clearly (with 95-100% accuracy) around 16 -20 weeks of gestational age or there after. Only your doctor can help you regarding this.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Got positive pregnancy test. How to calculate pregnancy week? 4 minutes later
ok thank u for that i will consult my midwife asap i have addisons disease aswell as thyroidectomy my last baby has got tracheobroncomalcia and subglottic stenosis grade 3 and is it possible to have Another one the same i think last one was related to my healrh condition am i right.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 47 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Gross congenital anomalies are not always transferable to next pregnancy and it mainly depends on environmental factor/ maternal health condition/ using teratogenic drugs etc.

Here, you may need to take thyroid medication (as you undergone thyroidectomy) in case of hypothyroid state to avoid complication of pregnancy related with that.

Amniocentesis, TRIPLE test and TIFFA scan are widely useful to detect major & minor congenital anomalies in 2nd trimester. Consultation with gynecologist or sonologist is essential regarding this.

Now, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Soumen.