Got pigmentation on forehead while pregnent. Gets worse when exposed to sun. Is there any permanent solution?

Hi , I am 38yr old. and 8 yrs back during pregnancy i got pigmentation on my forehead( a dark patch) which goes worst when exposed to sun. Is there any permanent solution to this ????
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 17 hours later
I would be pleased to answer your question .

What your are describing as in your history is called Melasma .
This is commonly seen in females and increases on exposure to sunlight .

Treatments may include:

Creams containing a combination of Vitamin C ,tretinoin, kojic acid, and azelaic acid have been shown to improve the appearance of melasma.

Your doctor may recommend chemical peels or topical steroid creams.

In severe cases, laser treatments can be used to remove the dark pigment.

Avoiding the sun and using sunscreen are key to preventing melasma.

There is no ONE Particular Permanent solution to this condition . COMBINATION of the various available treatments is the only method to treat the condition

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Got pigmentation on forehead while pregnent. Gets worse when exposed to sun. Is there any permanent solution? 29 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply. May i ask you to please suggest me some creams that I can get it in the medical store to use it regularly. i live in hyderabad, so please see to that its available here. Its not that severe in my case, just that my forehead skin a bit darker than my face skin tone. I can send across my forehead pic , if you would like to have a look .

Is this Melasma a permanent thing, or can be cured and eradicate completely ???

Thank you so much . XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
Can you send me the photo at your convenience?