Got painful burn on wrist. Yellowish liquid oozes from it. Is it safe to use cream with silver in it?

got a bad burn on my wrist 2 weeks ago went to health centre where they burst the blister and cleaned and dressed it and said to leave the dressing on for a couple of days , whilst cleaning the burn they took some of the skin off so leaving an open wound . the burn is still very painful and ozing a yellow gunk and i have had to put a dressing back on it and using the cream with silver in it , sorrry i dont know how to spell it. am i doing the right thing
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 28 minutes later
Hi dear,

Thanks for writing in.

You are doing right thing.

Remove the dressing daily.

Clean the wound daily with betadine antiseptic solution.

Apply silver sulpha diazine cream (SSD cream)on it.

Put a fresh bandage on it.

Also you will need to take oral antibiotics and oral analgesic ,like ibuprofen daily for atleast 7 days.

Hopr this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.

Follow-up: Got painful burn on wrist. Yellowish liquid oozes from it. Is it safe to use cream with silver in it? 26 minutes later
willi need to see a doctor then if i need antibiotics does that mean its infected regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 minutes later
Hi again,

Depending on size of burns the antibiotics my be required orally in order to prevent the secondary infection.Even if burn is not infected the antibiotics are given to prevent infection.

Keep using SSD cream which is topical antibiotic.