Got pain in upper abdomen and sore to touch. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
hi i got a pain in upper abdomen it feels sore to the touch felt faint earlier
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The identification of the exact cause of upper abdominal pain depends upon various factors:
a. Is it in the center? Gastritis (acidity or ulceration) is the most likely cause
b. If it is on the right, Gall Bladder and Liver problems may be suspected.
c. If it is on the left, and if you drink alcohol regularly, pancreatitis must be ruled out.
Early appendicitis must be ruled out.
There are other questions that must be answered:
d. Did this happen after a heavy meal?
e. Does the pain radiate into the back?
f. Are there any associated symptoms such as fever, nausea, retching, vomiting?
g. Is there any rigidity/guarding on pressing the area?

2. Feeling faint is usually due to stimulation of the Vagus Nerve (Tenth Cranial Nerve). Is your blood pressure normal?

3. The list of conditions which may cause upper abdominal pain is vast. Sometimes the cause is outside the abdomen, for example in the urinary, respiratory, cardiac or musculo-skeletal system. Routine blood and urine tests, x-rays and an ECG may be advised

I must emphasize that the simplest approach will be to get a physician's opinion. An abdominal palpation and an abdominal Ultrasound (USG) will definitely help rule out a lot of these causes and get aquick, exact diagnosis. Later a contrast CT Scan or Endoscopy may be required. Painkillers (anti-spasmodics) may mask the symptoms and hence should be avoided initially till an exact diagnosis is made.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.