Got over cold. Taking ZPak and a cough suppressant. Noticed soreness in throat. Having pain in ears. Suggest?

I recently got over a bad cold. I was given ZPak and a cough suppressant. Everything has cleared up, the cough just recently abated and I have been feeling better. However, I noticed a soreness in my neck in a small area just to the right of my Adam's XXXXXXX There's no lump or swelling that I can tell, but it's tender especially to the touch. As well I have pain in my ears now the right much worse than the left. As a smoker, my first thought was cancer, but I am a worrier anyway.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 43 minutes later
sometimes soreness in throat persists for long time after a bad throat infection. At this time it is not unusual to have tenderness over the adam's XXXXXXX area. The pain there can radiate to the ears as well. As you are a smoker, you are predisposed to this problem. This may clear in the coming weeks; some steam inhalation, warm saline gargles and voice rest will help.
unless this fails to clear in the following 2- 3 weeks, I would not suspect cancer. But do keep in touch with your doc, as he or she can monitor your condition closely.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Got over cold. Taking ZPak and a cough suppressant. Noticed soreness in throat. Having pain in ears. Suggest? 9 minutes later
Great thanks%21 So since the pain is outside of the throat%2C more like around on the muscles%2C can i apply heat or massage to that area%3F
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Yes, its more around the throat. You can certainly apply heat and light massage.