Got nipples pierced, areola are dry, crackling and bleeding. Suggest medication?

Feb 2013

I got my nipples pierced in december, but my areolas ary very dry and cracking and bleeding, is there anything I can apply on them?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Dryness of areolas may be the cause for cracking followed by bleeding.

Maintain hydration of the areola by applying moisturizing jelly like Vaseline jelly externally over skin twice or thrice daily.

Use mild soap while taking bath and don't apply soap excessively as it makes the areolas dry.

Avoid wearing tight and rough undergarments.

If there are any signs of secondary bacterial skin infection, application of antibiotic cream like mupirocin may be required.

If the pierced metal ring of nipples have caused the dryness due to rubbing, measures to be taken to avoid rubbing of skin by the metal.

And physical examination by a doctor is important to know the cause for dryness, cracking, and bleeding and to advise you an appropriate topical medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.