Got nasal fracture. Will I be fine after surgery?

Hello. I am a college student in Japan and was punched yesterday in my face.
I usually wear glasses and because of that I got a small bruise under my left eye. But the main problem is that my nose is crooked because of the punch. It is slightly crooked to the right side and I don't feel pain unless I press on it.

I went to a doctor on Saturday but because of the weekend and tomorrow is a national holiday in Japan, I was told to get a surgery on Tuesday. Can my nose be returned to normal even after 3 days? Can I attend my class after my surgery shortly?

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 27 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

In all probabilities you have nasal and septal fracture.Nasal fractures are the most common types of facial fractures; however, they are often unrecognized and untreated at the time of injury. Its central position and anterior projection on the face predisposes the nose to traumatic injury. Studies have shown that most nasal fractures involve the septum, which can be an obstacle to successful reduction.

Clinical findings in patients with a history of trauma to the nose or face may include the following:

Epistaxis, which is common in nasal fractures due to mucosal disruption
Change in nasal appearance
Nasal airway obstruction
Infra orbital ecchymosis

Surgery for this condition will depend on the other associated conditions,Nasofrontal and ethmoid fractures must be ruled out because these may require other types of surgical intervention.

A couple of days should not be big problem if other injuries are ruled out,also the post operative period will depend upon the type of surgery and other co -existing conditions,you may need antibiotics or packing for few days. But should be able to attend classes soon.

If you need any further clarification, please let me know.

Follow-up: Got nasal fracture. Will I be fine after surgery? 19 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

I never had any trauma or any face related injuries before the accident.
After the accident I bled quite a lot from my nose and it seems like the blood dried up in my nose and breathing has been moderately difficult since then.
My only concern is whether my nose will ever look normal without an actual plastic surgery.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 8 minutes later
Thanks for asking.

Difficulty in breathing can be because of scabs/ dried up blood leading to obstruction of passage, please do not try to disrupt that, as it can lead to fresh bleeding, unless the breathing becomes a problem.

In that case, you may have to go to emergency department before the fixation surgery is done in a couple of days.

Please understand that it will largely depend upon the associated injuries ,if it is simply the nasal bone/ septum, there is very high probability that you won't have any cosmetic problem and there will not be a noticeable deformity.