Got nail injury. Started bleeding. Should I be worried for HIV?

General Surgeon
Hi i was at work and I was horseplaying with a security guard we joke around trying to grab my money that I was counting and I was responsibly for this messing around with him So he had the money i was counting and my hand was on the money tight And I believe his finger nails went into my skin and it was like that a minute as he was holding tight with my money I did not realize I looked down and i was bleeding What should i do any action i should i take worry? HIV to my knowledge he did not have any open wounds I did wipe it with antispray
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If there were no direct contact between your wound and his blood, nothing really has happen. No need to worry about it. Nail is lifeless part of human body and does not have virus inside.
You should wash your wound after this contact with soap and water (antispray is also fine) and put a bandage on it. If the wound will be healing without any problems, no further action is necessary.
If any redness, swelling, discharge will appear, bacterial or fungal infection is possible. In such case, doctor should take a look on it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Got nail injury. Started bleeding. Should I be worried for HIV? 16 minutes later
I believe it was nails and I dont believe he had a open sore in that hand which he grabbed the money
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
It had to be nail as only nail is sharp enough to cause a wound. And even if he have had any open sore, the risk is very low. If you want to be sure, you should have HIV test for about 3 weeks.

Follow-up: Got nail injury. Started bleeding. Should I be worried for HIV? 3 minutes later
ill take your advice what do you consered low? I should stop worrying about it?
what do tyou think? Doc
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
By low risk I mean less than 0,3%. So you should not worry about it. It is almost impossible to get infected in described by you way.
So once again, no reason to worry.