Got my progesterone levels analyzed. Is it normal?

Mar 2013
I have recently had my progesterone levels analyzed and the results came back as < 3 nmol/l at day 5/6 of my cycle.
My doctor has asked to see me about this however is not able to give me an appointment for another 10 days. Should I be concerned about my results?

I am not currently pregnant.

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later

Normal progesterone values are 0.5-2.3 (nmol/L) from day 1 - 14 of the menstrual cycle.
Hence your progesterone value falls in the normal range.
It would help a lot to know what exact problem you are facing for which this test was ordered, and any other details besides.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Got my progesterone levels analyzed. Is it normal? 5 minutes later

Thank you for coming back to me.

My husband and I have been trying for a baby for the past 3 months and haven't had much success. I went to the doctors as I was slightly concerned.

The first stage from the doctor's perspective was to do a full blood analysis however, they failed to ask at what point in my menstrual cycle I was. I find this strange given they were aware they could not do a smear test as I had my period at the point they took blood.

I received my results yesterday with a note to say the doctor would like to see me again because my progesterone levels were low. I tried to book an appointment however I was unable to get one - the earliest they could do was Thursday the 28th of February.

Needless to say, I am extremely concerned and wanted to know why they had requested a follow up appointment for my progesterone levels. I was unable to wait until next Thursday.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello again XXXXXXX
Firstly , conception depends on many factors.
First, is obviously your ability to ovulate and produce mature eggs. This is dependent on various hormonal tests done ideally on Day 2 of your cycle. These include serum FSH, LH, AMH, antral follicular count by ultrasound etc.
A baseline pelvic ultrasound on day 2 is essential.
A detailed pelvic examination is a must.
Semen analysis of your husband is necessary.
Ideally, after trying for a year or so, if you still fail, fallopian tube patency must be assessed.
Serum progesterone level is of value if done in the secretory phase of the cycle, that is, after ovulation, and even then, merely serum progesterone level is least helpful to determine this.
You need a comprehensive hormonal assessment , and that too, I would advise it to be done, after naturally trying to conceive for atleast 6 months to a year.
Follow-up: Got my progesterone levels analyzed. Is it normal? 15 days later
Hi there,

I'd like to follow up on the previous coversation. I have since had my progesterone levels retested and they indicate I have good progestorone levels.

Further to that my period is now 4 days late (my cycle is always 28 days) however, the home pregnancy tests are showing negative and around 4 hours ago a very like brown/red spotting started.

I have been pregnant before and I did not find out until I was almost 4 months pregnant as the home pregnancy tests and my doctor's urine tests all showed up negative. It was not until I started to suffer from severe nausea that my doctor did further tests and found out I was pregnant.

I would like to know if you think I could be pregnant and how I can find out for definite (other than a urine test). Can I for instance request a scan at 3-4 weeks?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 hours later
I apologize for the delay in writing back to you.
Firstly, it is very strange that your earlier pregnancy was not detected by urine tests until 4 months !!!
Since you have 28 day cycles, it is really strange to me.
Also, home urine pregnancy tests are 97 % reliable.
Only in rare cases, in a very early pregnancy, or an impending abortion, or ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ) - the circulating B HCG levels are too low to show up on a urine test.
Since you have missed your period, chances of pregnancy do exist, as you have been actively trying for a baby.
You can confirm your pregnancy by a blood B HCG test, which is much more reliable compared to a urine test.
A transvaginal pelvic ultrasound ( not an abdominal ultrasound ) would also show up a pregnancy if there is one.
Do one of these, and let me know.
All the best, dear.