Ask a Dentist   »  

Got my braces tightened. Felt pain below ear after eating. What is the problem?

I got my braces tightened on Tuesday...tonight I ate some crispy fish sticks and within seems my right side below the ear lobe was so tight it seems like a muscle spasm you have in your leg but also purssure in my righ ear. Now it seems like it has gone down some but now it is very temp
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Dear friend.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

Your history suggests that you might have developed muscle spasm or muscle soreness after getting orthodontic treatment,which has just got noticed after eating fish.

It appears as though there is intra-oral swelling too which is causing pressure on your right ear too.

Also did you notice any other symptoms like associated swelling, pain or bleeding from gums post orthodontic wire adjustment? If so please mention.

Here I would suggest you to take an analgesic along with muscle relaxants, and observe for the changes. Also do warm saline rinses after food and maintain very good oral hygiene.

If the symptoms still persists then, you must visit your orthodontist and get your braces re-examined for the extra pressure it is causing on the surrounding tissues.

For further query please let me know.

Follow-up: Got my braces tightened. Felt pain below ear after eating. What is the problem? 1 hour later
Yes I had bleeding and a lot of swollen gum before they tighten them. I have been taken a little Tynenol every 8hours. Teeth is very sore and my blood pressure is elevated as well. The cramp has come down on that side but it is still swollen but not as bad as it was at first. I went to sleep for a few is a little sore and sensation around that ear and swallon.. I will do your treatment plan. How many days should I wait before I go back?
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 6 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for the reply and giving complete history.

Now, you can be amply sure that the present symptoms are due to orthodontic wire adjustment.

Anyways, do not worry it will be fine. Please follow as advised earlier. You can visit your dentist after two more days, within which you can observe, if the symptoms subside. Please do not take lots of pain killers.

Now, here I would like to explain you that, in case of orthodontic treatment bodily tooth movement (whole tooth), is achieved by taking anchorage from other teeth and adjacent supporting structures.

When optimum pressure is applied, it leads to bone resorption on one side and bone formation on the other side.

This is how tooth movement is achieved through orthodontic wire. Thus causes mild pain and inflammation in the tissues.

But sometimes excessive pressure leads to tissue damage and necrosis too.
Therefore in my view you must visit your dentist and discuss your symptoms so that on evaluation, if required re adjustment of orthodontic wire can be done.

This will relieve your tissues a bit. Also I have explained you about your treatment so that you can understand what is going on with your teeth.

Also in this kind of treatment oral hygiene plays eminent role, so you must maintain very good oral hygiene.

This will improve your gum condition and thus better support and faster teeth movement.

Hope i have answered your query.

I would be glad to further answer your query related, if any.