Got mosquito bite on hand and developed itchy and sore blisters on back of calf. Worrisome

Average

Dermatologist
Question
My daughter had what we thought was a few mosquito bites on her hand and arms a couple of weeks ago. It went away, and we never thought more about it. The last two weeks she has developed a blister on the back of her calf - it looked initially like a mosquito bite that may have become infected or irritated. It was very itchy and sore. I applied polysporin for a few days, and then it turnerd black. It is completely round. She now has two more similar scabs, one right below the first one and one on her other leg. They are red and crusty, and they turn black. They are itchy and sore.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX Crusted scabs are common after blisters . Insect bite or contact irritants can lead to such a situation. Application of antibiotic creams should be continued till scab formation and thereafter a mild steroidal cream can be added to do away with the scab.
Dr Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Got mosquito bite on hand and developed itchy and sore blisters on back of calf. Worrisome 1 hour later
She has 3 scabs, turning black. They are not all where the mosquito bites are.

I'm wondering about a staph or strep infection? Ringworm? Impetego????

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 25 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up query.Any scab results from a bacterial infection only and for that reason I advised antibacterial cream. If there is no pus discharge , redness or pain then there is no need to give any oral antibiotic. U can continue with the topical and scab should get clear in 3-4 days time.
Dr Rohit Batra