Got mosquito bite on arm. Noticed swollen tender node. Should I be concerned?

My daughter had an infected mosquito bite on her arm about 3 weeks ago (swollen tender with pus) which cleared up about 2 weeks ago. Also two weeks ago she noticed a swollen tender node under her arm. Her pedi said it was reacting to the bug bite. It has gotten a lot smaller but is still there (not near as tender as it was 2 weeks ago as well). Of course I'm still concerned that it hasn't completely gone away or gotten really small). She is 9 btw and no health concerns. She was never on an antibiotic for the bite (I didn't even realize until after the fact that the bite had pus and was tender since she didn't tell me until it had almost completely healed - she scratched it at school continually). The node is very mobile also. I have a friend who is a surgeon and he said it could remain a little large for a while. I'm driving her crazy checking it all the time! Forgot to mention that the swollen node is on the same side as the bite was.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I understand your concern regarding your daughter but the fact is your surgeon friend is correct and there is nothing to worry regarding this.
Lymph nodes may remain swollen or firm long after an initial infection is gone. This is especially true in children, whose glands may decrease in size while remaining firm and visible for many weeks.
Local lymph node enlargement is found on the same side as of the infection.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Got mosquito bite on arm. Noticed swollen tender node. Should I be concerned? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I have a couple of more questions:
1. What is the expected duration of the swollen node? As I said it had been swollen for about two weeks, but has definitely gotten somewhat smaller.

2. Is it possible that the node might never completely revert to where I can't feel it at all?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Normally such lymph nodes regress in next 6 to 8 weeks but may take little longer specially in children.
Generally they revert completely but it may be possible that you may feel it's presence for many months,albeit on XXXXXXX palpation.
I think you should stop thinking on these lines,as it is perfectly normal to have some enlarged lymph node long after the infection is gone.