Got married into blood relations. Any problem in conceiving?

Hello Doctor,

Recently I got married with my Sister-in-Law, We have Blood Relation(She is my mother brother's daughtor), Is there any problem if we get baby in future.

Is there any precausions need to take...

Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
2nd degree consanguinity does pose some risk

Detailed Answer:

A marriage in 2nd relative does pose some risk but it is too small to cause any serious complications. The risk is only of having babies with genetic problems at the rate 1 in 1000. Hence, there is no need to worry on the same.

Precautions like genetic screening of the fetus during 12th to 16th week of pregnancy would be enough.

Hope, I answered your query.