Got lichen planus on using hydroxychloroquine for rheumatoid arthritis. Tips for healing scars?

I was given hydroxychloroquine for rheumatoid arthritis. This then caused dizziness and a bueish grey tint to my neck and face leaving me with a bad rash, from which I now have discolouration on my face and neck. I discontinued use after 5 weeks and was told by a dermatologist that the medication brought on lichen planus pigmentosus , the scars from which may never heal.
A year and five months on from stopping the medication ( and having discovered MSM powder which helps control the arthritis although I have tendonitis in my left hand/wrist) and the tint has gone although I am still left with the scarring. Any advice?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Basically you had a drug induced hyperpigmentaion or a photo sensitivity reaction to hydroxychloroquine.It can be referred as a lichenoid reaction and not exactly a LICHEN PLANUS.
Normally such type of hypersensitivity skin reactions fade away with time.
Treatment by local applications medicine generally fails because the pigmentation is in lower layers of dermis,where medicines are not able to penetrate.
I don't think that any thing is to be done now but I would advise you to consult a dermatologist and take his opinion who can guide for any further treatment.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query .
Best of luck
Follow-up: Got lichen planus on using hydroxychloroquine for rheumatoid arthritis. Tips for healing scars? 15 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I did consult a dermatologist and he suggested I use sunscreen, stay out of the sun and it may either fade away OR may never go!
Do you have any idea how long it may take to go and also if I am in danger of low vitamin D levels from staying out of the sun?

Is there nothing I can do to help the skin return to normal?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 minutes later
Your dermatologist is absolutely right in saying that the outcome can not be predicted.It may fade gradually or may be it doesn't go.
Treatment involves generous use of high SPF sunscreen,avoiding sun and using umbrella.
As far as low VIT D levels are concerned,they can be checked by blood test and if found deficient,one can always take VIT D supplement.
Very frankly speaking no other specific treatment is there.