Got late period with blood clots, post coital brownish bleeding. Taken out Copper IUD had for long years. what could be causing this?

I was 2 weeks late for my period last month and when it arrived I had a lot of blood clots, then a week later I had post coital bleeding, brownish red. I went for a pap today I am waiting for results but am very nervous as to what could be causing this. Also had my copper IUD taken out today which I have had for 10 years.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

IUD inserted for a longer period can give rise to erosion cervix which can cause contact bleeding
It's good that you got your pap's smear done
Just wait for the results
Blood clots indicate excessive bleeding which was perhaps due to IUD

There is no need to worry as there are methods to evaluate abnormal pap's smear by colposcopy and biopsy so just relax till the report comes

Best wishes
Follow-up: Got late period with blood clots, post coital brownish bleeding. Taken out Copper IUD had for long years. what could be causing this? 11 minutes later
Thank you I am trying to remain calm just worried because one of the possibilities that came up was cervical cancer. Would the Doctor have seen erosion during the Pap/Pelvic exam?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 14 minutes later

Yes doctor can see if there is any growth on cervix

Erosion cervix can be treated with cryocauterization which is an OPD procedure , hardly takes 5 minutes

If there was a growth he would have done biopsy so I don't think there is any need to worry

Best wishes once again