Got knee injury. X-ray showed undisplaced fracture of fibula bone. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi I went for a xray on my left knee after falling on it nearly 14 days ago and don't really understand what tge report says
It says I have a sclerotic line demonstrated at the fibular neck and there is subtle periosteal thickening in this region. The appearances are suggestive for an undisplaced healing fracture of the fibular neck and a small joint enffusion at the supra patellar bursa
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

You had got undisplaced fracture of fibula bone at its upper end(one of the two bones of leg) after fall on your knee 14 days back. Now after 14 days it is in healing stage.

It takes 4-6 weeks for complete healing of this fracture. So you need proper immobilisation of your knee and leg for this period.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician nearby to rule out any other injury at knee and proper management according to that.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Got knee injury. X-ray showed undisplaced fracture of fibula bone. What should I do? 7 minutes later
Thankyou I have to go to another doctor as she will not immobilise my knee and have been left with this for two weeks what do they mean by periosteal thickening mean please

Thanks for writing back.

Periosteal(outer covering of bone) thickening shows periosteal callus that is new bone formed by the proliferation of periosteal osteogenic cells. It is a stage of fracture healing.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications. If you have no further query, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon

Follow-up: Got knee injury. X-ray showed undisplaced fracture of fibula bone. What should I do? 11 hours later
Thank you for explaining I wonder why other doctors don't so this would mean its a new fracture and not a old one

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

I am glad to know that I could understand your concern.

This would mean it is a 14 days old fracture and now it is in healing stage.

Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.