Got kicked while playing soccer. Swelling and bruising are prominent. Medial malleolus is completely flat. Little pain. Suggest medication?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Playing soccer I got kicked on the inside of my lower XXXXXXX ... Swelling and bruising was very prominent but leg ... Can walk and run but Medial malleolus is completely flat ... It seems weird but very little pain ...?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suspect medial malleolar fracture.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that medial malleolar fractures (especially distal tip fractures) may not give much problem during walking or running because of the fact that the weight bearing axis strain is not passing through it and so even pain could not be felt or very little pain may be seen.

But it will be painful to medio-lateral (varus valgus) strain i.e when the foot is everted, you can feel the pain.

An Xray of the anke is mandatory to diagnose the medial malleolar fracture.

An undisplaced fracture is generally treated in a splint or cast for 4-6 weeks. Displaced fractures may need surgical stabilization.

In the meantime, follow the RICE regime (rest, ice packing,compression bandage & elevation of limb) and analgesics as needed.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarifications