Got kicked in pubic bone area, felt bruised and swollen. Taking naproxen and paracetamol but no help. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Got kicked in pubic bone area Friday night. Saturday felt just badly bruised but by Sunday eve swollen near left pubic bone area and pain kept me awake. Mon starting taking 2 naproxen daily as had some for old neck problem and paracetomol but again kept me awake. Today have taken 3 naproxens..paracetomol and 2hrs ago a co codamyl but pain is getting worse..very swollen and hot. What else can I do?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply ice

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

I will recommend to put some ice wrapped in towel over the swollen area for 10 - 15 minutes 3 -4 times per day.

Co-codamol 2 tablets 4 times per day with the Ibuprofen 400mg three times per day for 3 days should be enough. but do not take the Naproxen and paracetamol with them.

You might have had a haematoma (bleeding in soft tissue) which takes time to improve, but sometimes can get infected and you will need antibiotics for it or even surgery if it changed into abscess.

Other option is fracture, for which you need x-ray to confirm it. So it is best to visit your doctor at the earliest to rule out a fracture or hematoma.

Hope this answers your question, in case you have further concerns, please do write back to me.

Best wishes