Got intense upper abdominal pain, nausea after drinking wine. Cause of worry?

Having intense upper-abdominal pain with nausea after a small glass of wine. Took some chewable antacid, but no effect. Had similar pain last night, but no wine. Pain lasted until I went to bed. Intensity has died down a bit but it still really hurts, should I be worried?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

There are two possibilities - Alcoholic gastropathy and acute pancreatitis.

If pain is persistent, get immediate medical attention to rule out the above mentioned conditions. You may require to undergo tests like upper GI endoscopy and CT scan of the abdomen.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini