Got insect bite. Having intermittent pins and needles sensation and occasional burning sensation. Worrisome

Question
I was stung by some type of insect a week ago (in my back), and I still have intermittent pins and needles sensation as well as occasional burning sensation. Only a small red spot is evident, and some minor tissue fulness. No itching or rash.
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Insect bites can start a cycle of local inflammation and irritation, that is the fact in your case.
You would feel this till the local bite XXXXXXX heals fully.
It would not cause any major trouble but if it irritates you much then you can take OTC drugs like levocetirizine 5mg once a day for 5days, which would lead to symptomatic relief.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Got insect bite. Having intermittent pins and needles sensation and occasional burning sensation. Worrisome 24 minutes later
An update for you -- I now have a second small red bump lateral and a little higher than the first one, and I'm wondering (since I didn't actually see an insect but assume something bit me) maybe instead I might have shingles? With the pins & needles feeling and some burning in that area, can that be the way shingles presents? I had the zoster vaccine one year ago, and chicken pox as a child.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to HCM!
At your age shingles erupts very fast, but you are having one or two papules and you have enough vaccination as well.
I do not think you have shingles but because you have not seen the insect biting then may be you are havin a pimple or boil.
can you send me a photograph showin front and tangential views.
I would be helpful in diagnosing it more appropriately.
I hope the advise would be useful for you.
Wishing you a great health.

Follow-up: Got insect bite. Having intermittent pins and needles sensation and occasional burning sensation. Worrisome 16 hours later
It IS shingles, as I have been to the doctor who confirmed it. Milder case because of the vaccine a year ago, but pins & needles and burning are typical they say. Thanks for your input.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Oops! It is so strange.
That is why I wanted to see it's photograph before finalising my opinion on it.
Anyway I am happy that your doc has confirmed the diagnosis.
Wish you a great health!