Got injury. MRI done. What are the findings in the report?

Nov 2013

please explain post injury mri summary report to me.
Findings: There is patient motion artifact.
There is reversal of the normal cervical lordosis, Disc desiccation evident at C5-C6, There is a mild broad-based posterior
disc bulge at C6-C7. No central spinal stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing. No significant marrow signal abnormalities.
Cervical cord is normal in caliber contour and signal.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your MRI spine does not show significant abnormalities, related to injury.

There is evidence of mild disc (soft tissue located between the vertebral bones) bulges at two levels in the neck region. However, there is no compression of the nerve or spinal cord due to the disc bulges.

Reversal of normal cervical lordosis is usually due to neck muscle pain and spasm. Normally, the neck region has a mild inward curvature, which is lost in cases of mild disc disease.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Got injury. MRI done. What are the findings in the report? 5 hours later
Chiropractor said I have bone spurs etc on my neck. I feel the mri was not complete as I was in severe spasm at the time it was taken. Can you advise me how to load the mri images from a disc so you can view it?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

It is possible that you have bone spurs in the neck region, as it is common after 50. However, they are not of any clinical significance, as bone spurs can not cause compression of neck nerves or spinal cord.

Bone spurs are best seen on X rays. So, if your chiropracter is interested, you may get a cervical spine X-ray done.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)