Got injured while playing tennis. Middle finger knuckle is swollen and bruised. Could it be fracture?

after playing tennis a couple of weeks ago, my middle finger knuckle was swollen and bruised and i am having trouble holding anything. I tried playing again and a lot of pain in the knuckle and it swell up and is bruised again.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

Since your pain and swelling is persisting even after two weeks of sporting injury raises sufficient doubts. The most likely cause for persistence of such swelling and pain seems to be either a fracture or dislocation.

Interestingly the middle finger of the hand is the most likely candidate for such type of injuries. The best explanation for this is that the middle finger is usually the longest one and thus tends to be most exposed to contact injuries.

You must consider consulting an orthopedician and get the x- XXXXXXX of your hand done.
Subsequent treatment would depend upon the nature of injury.

If X-rays show a fracture of the finger bones, the finger may need to be set and supported (splinted) or - in some cases - either placed in a cast or corrected surgically.
If there is dislocation, then it has to be properly placed.

Associated treatment requires hot fomentation and anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 7 to 10 days.

Consult orthopedic as early as possible and till then go for hot fomentation and ibuprofen.

I hope it helps you; however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck