Got infected with typhoid and getting hair loss. How to prevent this?

Jan 2014

Hello Doctor, I am infected with typhoid and some time getting hair lose, how can stop the hair lose
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ascertain the exact cause. Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Hair loss can be of various types in males: 1. Androgenetic alopecia 2. Telogen effluvium (Post stress i.e medical, surgical, psychological) 3. Alopecia areata 4. Secondary to various disease of the scalp like seborrheic dermatitis, lichen planus, discoid lupus erythematosus. Had a look at your Medical test report dated 27/11/2013. Though typhoid causes hair loss but that usually happens 1-3 months after the illness. Its called Telogen effluvium. I doubt if the present illness is responsible for the hair loss that you are currently experiencing. Androgenetic alopecia is the commonest type of hair loss in males. By the age of 30 almost 30% of males have this kind of hair loss and by the age of 50 almost 50% of males have this kind of hair loss. Treatment modalities include Topical Minoxodil and oral finasteride. Their are well controlled trials and USFDA approval for them for this kind of hair loss in males. Its imperative that you begin therapy as soon as possible so that your hair fall can be arrested before its too late. I would advice that you visit a dermatologist so that he can ascertain the exact cause of hair loss. take care regards Dr. kakkar