Got imperforated anus and have undergone colostomy procedure. Want to close colostomy. What are the complications?

Pediatrician, Surgery
My son has got imperforated anus and have undergone colostomy procudure. Now we want to close the colostomy. Please let us know what are the complications int he colostomy closure? How can we work on the continence?
My son is 1.5 years old.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Common complications is infection, rarely leak from the closure

Detailed Answer:

Colostomy can be closed 4-6 weeks after the surgery for creation of new anus, provided the new anus has healed well.
Complications of closure of colostomy are mainly infection and rarely leak from the closure. Both the complications can be managed effectively, so don't worry.

Parents cannot do anything to prevent incontinence. However, if it happens then it can be managed. Incontinence depends on the severity of imperforate anus (higher imperforate anus are more prone to have incontinence). It also depends on the preciseness of the surgery.

Unfortunately if it happens, it can be effectively dealt with rectal washes or enemas or some surgical procedure like gracilis sling or MACE.

Dr Anand Sinha
Follow-up: Got imperforated anus and have undergone colostomy procedure. Want to close colostomy. What are the complications? 18 hours later
Can you review the file of my son? Or can we get on a call?
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would be glad to review the case file of your son

Detailed Answer:

I would be happy to review your child's file. Please upload all relevant medical records to the right side of this query page. I shall look into it and give you a detailed response.

There are few missing links in the history provided by you and I would like to have detailed view. That will help me give a better overview of what you should expect, and what you do on your part to improve your child's quality of life.

Dr Anand Sinha
MS General Surgery
MCh Paediatric Surgery (AIIMS)