Got hit with a line drive. Iced but leg is swollen and bruised. Area is sore, stings and slightly numb. Could I ask a doctor?

I got hit with a line drive on the inside of my XXXXXXX with a softball while I was pitching(don't think it hit the bone) I iced it within 5 minutes, my leg swelled and bruised within 10 minutes of the injury. This happened last night; I have been icing for 20 minutes every 2 hours. My leg is still swollen (aprx. 7 inches round, inside shin). The bruising is now light but covers half my leg. I can't seem to get the swelling done. The area is sore, stings and slightly numb.
I read on the internet that I should see a doctor if the bruising and swelling happened within 30 minutes (which it did).
What should I do? I am a 45 year old female. Thanks
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
thanks for the query.
Brief answer....hopefully should be all right in next couple of days.
detailed answer...
bruising and swelling is common after a hit like that.
hopefully it should be all right in next couple of days although bruise may take some time to go away.
Icing is good for initial 24 to 36 hours only.After that not much role left for it.
Take anti inflammatory like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 5-6 days.
If your pain doesn't go way in next couple of days or if the pain increases or if the swelling increases,then you must consult a doctor and get the area X-rayed.
I sincerely believe that it should not be a fracture and should be all right.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query,
Best of luck